The 59th "Warsaw Autumn" was held between 16th and 24th September 2016 and focused among others on the theme of contemporary opera. This fact encouraged us to produce for the first time in the history of the Chronicle series the Multimedia Chronicle which includes 5 audio CDs and 2 DVDs with selection of four operas presented at the Festival.
Since great Italian composer Salvatore Sciarrino was the featured composer of this year’s Festival, two discs – one CD and one DVD – were devoted especially to his works.
Similarly to the previous issues, one CD within the series (CD No. 5) was dedicated to very young composers. It contains six compositions presented during two concerts organised by the Youth Circle of the Polish Composers’ Union as fringe events of the Festival.
Multimedia Chronicle of the 59th "Warsaw Autumn"
International Festival of Contemporary Music
DVD 1 (polmic 124)
Luci mie traditrici (1996-1998) Opera in two acts to a libretto by Salvatore Sciarrino after Il tradimento per l’onore by Giacinto Andrea Cicognini
CD 1 (polmic 125)
1) Infinito nero (1998) Ecstasy in one act for voice and eight instruments to a libretto by Salvatore Sciarrino after the writings of Mary Magdalen de’ Pazzi; 2) Introduzione all’oscuro (1981) for twelve instruments; 3) Shadow of Sound (2005) for orchestra
CD 2 (polmic 126)
1) Philippe Hurel Tour à tour II – La rose des vents (2015) for orchestra and electronics; 2) Grażyna Pstrokońska-Nawratil Rain Forest. Concerto for two flutes and orchestra (2013); 3-5) Zofia Dowgiałło Composition with Motion Background (2010, rev. 2015) for orchestra
CD 3 (polmic 127)
1) Brigitta Muntendorf Key of Presence (2014-2015) for two pianos, live electronics and tape; 2) Wojciech Błażejczyk Trash Music (2014) for voice, instrumental ensemble and objectophones; 3) Marcin Bortnowski Expectancy (2016)
for cello and chamber orchestra
CD 4 (polmic 128)
1-5) Steven Kazuo Takasugi Sideshow (2009-2015) for amplified octet and electronic playback in five movements to words by Karl Kraus; 6) Piotr Peszat The Message (2016) for two pianos, sampler, audio playback and video
CD 5 (polmic 129) Fringe events – young composers’ carte blanche
1) Artur Słotwiński Anhedonia (2016) for string quartet; 2) Anna Porzyc String Quartet No. 2 (2013-2014); 3) Martyna Kosecka Kaléō (2015) for string quartet; 4) Teoniki Rożynek T.R.I.P. (2014) electronic music; 5) Alina Kubik In a Blink (2016) electronic music; 6) Ryszard Lubieniecki Beaute Parfaite. After Antonello da Caserta (noise version, 2015) electronic music
DVD 2 (polmic 130)
1) Aaron S Collective (Sławomir Wojciechowski, Paweł Krzaczkowski, Krzysztof Cybulski, Norman Leto) Aaron S (2015-2016); 2) Marta Śniady Meme Opera (2016) for voice, instrumental ensemble and visualisations; 3) Jarosław Siwiński Silent Fish (2016) Microopera for children