THE SIXTH INTERNATIONAL PIANO DUO COMPETITION
Białystok, 21-27th September, 2015
1.The initiator and artistic director of the International Piano Duo Competition is Professor Barbara Halska from the Chair of Piano Chamber Music of F. Chopin University of Music in Warsaw (UMFC).
2.The organizing unit of the Competition is The Society of Friends of The Fryderyk Chopin University of Music in Białystok in co-operation with The Podlasie Opera and Philharmonic - European Centre for the Arts in Białystok and The Fryderyk Chopin University of Music, Department of Instrumental and Educational Studies in Białystok, .
3.The Competition will be organized under the auspices of the Polish Ministry of Culture and National Heritage.
4.The Competition will be held in Białystok from 21th to 27th of September,2015 with the 1st stage taking place in the concert hall of the Instrumental and Pedagogic Department of UMFC in Białystok, the 2nd and the 3rd stage (Final) performed at the concert hall of the Podlasie Opera and Philharmonic in Białystok.
The Competition is open to pianists of all nationalities whose common age at the first day of the Competition is less than 70 years altogether.
The prize-winners of the prior competitions will not be admitted.
The application forms attached to the Regulations should be filled up in legible, block letters or typed in Polish or English and sent by 30th of May, 2015 to the following address:
VI International Piano Duo Competition The Society of Friends of The Fryderyk Chopin University of Music in Białystok
ul. Kawaleryjska 5, 15-324 Białystok, Poland
or sent by e-mail to: email@example.com
The application should include:
a)three recent portrait photographs (individual or joint) on glossy paper (9cmx 12cm) or in electronic version (JPG.TIF) for use in the Competition programme and press publications,
b) birth certificate or a certified copy of birth certificate,
c) certificates of completion of musical studies (copies of diplomas),
d) the proof of payment of 75 euro per each candidate (150 euro per duo) paid to the following bank account:
Bank Zachodni WBK 2 Oddział w Białymstoku 15-277 Białystok, Świętojańska 16, Polska
PL 71 1090 2587 0000 0001 1418 1873 Code SWiFT WBK PPLPP IBAN 17632132
with the insertion: The Sixth Piano Duo Competition, Białystok – with the name of the applicant and the purpose of payment.
Incomplete documents will not be accepted. No document will be returned.
1.The applicants qualified for the Competition will be informed by 30th June, 2015.
THE ABOVE DECISIONS MUST BE ACCEPTED AS FINAL AND ARE NOT APPEALED AGAINST.
2. An acceptance of an application means an agreement between the organizers and the applicant on the terms of the present set of regulations.
3.The entrance fee minus transfer costs will be returned to unaccepted applicants.
1.The organizers agreed that all auditions and concerts during the Competition may be
a) broadcast by radio and television,
b) registered, recorded and filmed and subsequently broadcast on radio, television and on-line as well as shown in film chronicles and documentary films, recorded on CDs and cassettes that are chronicles of the Competition,
c) photographed by the press,
d) directly transmitted live by the Internet,
with no remuneration to the pianists.
2. The organizers have the right to produce (without limits and payment to a performer) records and cassettes of all concerts or parts of programmes played by competitors and winners during the Competition and the awards ceremony.
1.All travel expenses to Białystok, as well as accommodation costs are covered by competitors.
2.There is a possibility of booking inexpensive accommodation at the local student’s hostels.
3.All participants will have an equal access to the instruments for practicing.
4.Competitors who qualify for the final will have one rehearsal with orchestra.
The competitors must register at the Secretariat of the Competition one day before the Competition starts at latest.
1.The auditions will be held in public in two stages and the final.
2. The order of auditions will be established before the Competition by drawing lots and will be maintained in principle until the end of the contest.
3.In principle no more than 14 duos will be admitted to the 2nd stage, and no more than 5 duos to the final.
The programme of the Competition includes the following pieces, which could be played from music sheet:
A.W.A. Mozart- a chosen sonata for four hands or two pianos
B.W. Lutosławski – Variations on Paganini Theme (Polskie Wydawnictwo Muzyczne Edition)
Duration – 35-40 min.
A. F. Chopin – Rondo C Major op. 73
B. The choice of other pieces for two pianos or four hands is free (There is a possibility of world premiere performances of the contemporary music).
Tracklist of Polish composers for the optional application in the any program in the II stage of the competition
1. Henryk Mikołaj Górecki - Pięć utworów op. 13 na dwa fortepiany (1959)
2. Henryk Mikołaj Górecki - Toccata op. 2 na dwa fortepiany (1955)
3. Witold Lutosławski - Miniatury na 2 fortepiany (1953)
4. Roman Maciejewski - Pianoduo concertante (1935-36)
5. Roman Maciejewski -Negro spirituals
6. Roman Maciejewski -Kołysanka na dwa fortepiany
7. Władysława Markiewiczówna -Suita na dwa fortepiany
8. Moszkowski -Tańce Hiszpańskie na 4 ręce
9. Ignacy Jan Paderewski-Album Tatrzańskie na 4-ręce
10. Roman Palester- Sonatina na 4-ręce
11. Marta Ptaszyńska -3 interludia
12. Michał Spisak -Koncert na 2 fortepiany
13. Tomasz Sikorski - Diafonia na dwa fortepiany(1969)
14. Aleksander Tansman -Sonata na 2 fortepiany
15. Romuald Twardowski-Introdukcja i toccata
3dr Stage (Final)
A. J. Maksymiuk-Scherzo grandioso for two pianos and Strings Orchestra (2015)
B. One of the following concertos:
J.S. Bach- Concerto C Major BWV 1061
W.A. Mozart – Concerto E Flat Major KV 365
B. Bartok - Sonata for two pianos and percussion (1937)
The Jury members work according to the Jury rules and regulations. At the first stage the Jury will separately evaluate the performances of the “Variations on Paganini Theme” by Witold Lutosławski, whereas at the second stage – F. Chopin’s “Rondo” C Major op. 73.
1.The finalist duos will be awarded the following prizes in Polish currency:
I prize – 30 000 PLN
II prize –25 000 PLN
III prize – 20 000 PLN
IV prize – 15 000 PLN
The prize-winners receive the title of laureate of The Sixth International Piano Duo Competition.
2. Apart from the prizes stated above the Jury can award special prizes for: - 2500 for the best performance of the “Variations on Paganini Theme” by W. Lutosławski - prize for the best performance of “Rondo” C Major op. 73 by F. Chopin
Additionally: - a concert for a chosen duo in the Opera and Philharmonic Hall in Białystok, - a recital for a chosen duo in the UMFC concert hall in Warsaw in 2015/2016
The competitors of the second stage qualified to the final will receive the diplomas of honour.
1.The Jury has the right (by voting) to change the distribution of the prizes and awards. However, the value of particular prizes must stay the same as stated in the regulations.
2.The Jury has the right not to award the special prizes or to decide on their distribution.
3. The decisions of the Jury are final and non-actionable.
1.The prizes and awards will be presented to the laureates and the awarded on 26th September 2015 at the Awards Ceremony.
2. All the finalists are bound to participate in the Awards Ceremony.
3. The programme of the Awards Ceremony will be decided by the Jury of the Competition in agreement with the performers.
4. The participants of the Awards Ceremony are bound to perform the programme decided by the Jury.
There is a possibility of founding other awards both by institutions and private donators. They should be registered at the Competition Bureau by September 15th, 2015. Awards accepted by the Bureau will not be a part of official awards. Money awards will be paid in the currency in which they were deposited. All these extra awards will be presented at the Awards Ceremony.
The Bureau of the Competition has a right to decide on all organization matters that do not belong to the Jury’s competence.
Any doubts regarding the decisions specified in these Regulations will be decided according to the Polish text as the only authentic one.