The Competition is organized by the Chair of Composition of the Grażyna and Kiejstut Bacewicz Academy of Music in Łódź and the Arthur Rubinstein Philharmonic in Łódź. It is held every three years: the first edition took place in 2003, second in 2006, third in 2009, fourth in 2012. Until the 2009 it was address to Polish and foreign students and graduates of music academies who were not older than 35 years. From the 4th edition it is open to composers of all nationalities with no age limits.
The subject of the 5th Grażyna Bacewicz International Composer Competition is a work for instrument or voice solo and a string orchestra with the option ofusing percussion instruments (more details in the rules of competition).
This year the jury is composed of: Zygmunt Krauze (Poland) – head of jury, Mauricio Sotelo (Spain), Steven Stucky (USA) and Berislav Šipuš (Croatia). The jury will award three prizes: 1st prize: 26.000 PLN, 2nd prize: 17.000 PLN, 3rd prize: 9.000 PLN.
The scores should be submitted until the 31st August 2015. The concert of prize winners will be held on 27th November 2015 at the A. Rubinstein Łódź Philharmonic.
More info: www.amuz.lodz.pl
5TH GRAŻYNA BACEWICZ INTERNATIONAL COMPOSER COMPETITION RULES
1. The competition is open to composers of allnations regardless of age.
2. Each participant may submit more than one score.
3. All submitted works must have been composedafter December 31st, 2012, be unpublished, havenever been performed in public and have not beenawarded a prize in any other competition.
4. The jury will give its award to three works, whichwill be performed in The Arthur Rubinstein ŁódźPhilharmonic.
1. The subject of the competition is a work for:
a) instrument solo and string orchestra with the optionof using percussion instruments (up to four players),
b) or voice solo and string orchestra with the optionof using percussion instruments (up to four players).
2. In case of a work for voice solo, the text maybe written in any language. A translation intoEnglish must accompany the composition.
3. The string orchestra consists of:
8-14 Violins I, 6-12 Violins II, 6-10 Violas,4-8 Violoncellos, 2-6 Double Basses.
4. List of percussion instruments:
Xylophone, Marimba [4.5-octave], Vibraphone, Chimes(Tubular Bells), Timpani, Wood Wind Chimes (BambooWind Chimes), Temple Blocks, Castanets, Guiro, Cabaza,Ratchet, Slapstick, Triangle, Cowbells, SleighBells, Flexatone, Anvil, Thunder Sheet, Pair of Cymbals,Suspended Cymbals, Tam-Tams, Tambourine,Timbales, Bongos, Snare Drum, Tom-Toms, Bass Drum.
5. The use of recordings and live electronic meansis not permitted.
6. Duration of the composition must be 10-20 minutes(this should be specified in the score).
1. Three prizes:
- 1st Prize: 26.000 PLN (approx. 6.000 €*)
- 2nd Prize: 17.000 PLN (approx. 4.000 €*)
- 3rd Prize: 9.000 PLN (approx. 2.000 €*)
* The euro equivalent of prizes has been givenaccording to the exchange rate of the National Bankof Poland on the day of the competitionannouncement.
All prizes are given in their gross amounts.
2. The first performance of the awarded compositionswill be on November 27th, 2015 in The ArthurRubinstein Łódź Philharmonic.
3. The jury reserves the right to divide the prizesas it sees fit.
1. The members of the jury:
ZygmuntKrauze (Poland) - Chairman
Mauricio Sotelo (Spain)
Steven Stucky (USA)
Berislav Šipuš (Croatia)
2. Results of the competition will be announcedin the first half of September 2015.
1. The score should be submitted anonymously,bearing a letter or digit code.
2. The score should be sent along with proof of paymentof the registration fee and a sealedenvelope,bearing the same code as the score. It must includethe following information:
a) first name and surname of the composer,
b) date and place of birth,
d) address, telephone number, e-mail
e) a declaration that the submitted work has beencomposed after December 31st 2012, isunpublished,has never been performed in public and has not beenawarded a prize in any other competition.
3. Scores should be sent to the following address:
5th GrażynaBacewicz International ComposerCompetition
The Grażyna and KiejstutBacewiczAcademy of Music in Łodź
32 Gdańska St., 90-716 Łodź, Poland
4. The deadline for sending scores is August 31st,2015 (the postmark is decisive).
VI. REGISTRATION FEE
1. The registration fee for each score is 45 €.
2. The amount is to be paid to the bank account of
The Grażyna and KiejstutBacewicz Academyof Music in Łodź
32 Gdańska St., 90-716 Łodź, Poland
BANK PEKAO SA
45 1240 3028 1978 0010 1782 4704
with a note:
5th G. Bacewicz International Composer Competition
and the composer’s name and surname.
3. All banking charges and commissions must becovered by the applicant. Please, make sure that theamount that will reach the account will be preciselythe same as required (see article VI.1).
4. Cheques will not be accepted.
5. The registration fee will not be refunded.
VII. CLOSING RESOLUTIONS
1. Entering the competition means that each participantagrees to the above rules.
2. Scores not fulfilling requirements defined by therules will not be accepted to the competition.
3. Scores are not to be returned to the composers.
4. Winners of the competition are obliged to prepareparts and send them at their expense in due time,determined by the competition organizers.
5. In the case of non-standard instruments in a solopart, the composer of an awarded piece is obliged torecommend a soloist. The organizers will cover costsof the soloist’s travel within Europe.